I am back (finally) — resuming rbcurse. I spent a month writing shell-scripts — something to track bugs.
There’s been a lot of progress with rbcurse in the last 2 days. Last month, when i dropped off, I had a non-editable component working inside a scrollpane. I had tabbedpanes, splitpanes and scrollpanes functional, but the split and scrollpanes needed to be prepared to work with real objects inside them.
Other widgets which will be placed inside panes, such as lists, textareas and tables (OMG!!! *shudder*) need to be modified so they don’t directly update the window (that’s how the original simple version does it). I am calling these “buffered” versions since they actually write to a buffer which the pane display as appropriate (after clipping, panning, hiding, showing etc, if need be). These buffered versions, of course, work outside panes as before, no change.
I’ve just got an editable textarea working inside a scrollpane, however I am working out various cursor related issues. Problem compounded by the time-off.
For example, when i pan the scrollpane, the cursor blinks at the same point it was at. Editing happens at the correct place, but the cursor needs to scroll too. Up-key and down-key can take the cursor outside the scrollpane since the textarea really doesn’t have a clue what it’s inside.
I tend to get distracted easily due to the complexity of figuring out where to make a change, esp due to the time off. I hope within a month or 2, we can see fully functional scroll and splitpanes with a sample application.
I’ll be working through the holidays since I have nothing else to do.
Happy holidays you lucky guys with a life 🙂
The rest of you: I think your Eclipse just finished launching, so you can get back to work now.
— steve yegge